Sunday, May 18, 2008

Rovaniemi


This morning I arrived in Rovaniemi, Finland's gateway to Lapland, located at the Arctic Circle. This is definitely the farthest north I have ever been in my life. I walked around this small city today and took some photos - this shows the path I followed along the river.

Rovaniemi has a university (University of Lapland) that has a beautifully-designed school of arts.

It snowed on me today as I walked around, and it is really coming down now. It's 9:20 pm as I write this, and it is as bright outside as it was at 5:00 pm.

Tomorrow, I'm off to a workshop in Kiilpisjarvi, located even farther north of here, at the borders of Finland, Norway and Sweden. I'll give a talk, help workshop some other scholars' work, climb a mountain and take my first Finnish sauna.

Hisako has all of the Tallinn photos, which I still hope to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and Hisako!!

I sure envy you! I can't believe you get to travel to Finland! Can I vivst? ^_^ Lucky you!

I just got done with AP testing and there's more testing on the way. Thankfully, I've got a string of A's so far in high school so I'm that worried. I'm currently ranked 3rd in my class, but intend to change that in the near future!! ^O^

So why don't you drop by for some hot pot on the way back? My mom's got the pot all set and ready to boil away!! We sure miss you guys!

~Youyou

P.S.
Mom and David say hi.